Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Just Like You... Maybe a Smidge More Organized


Some clients think of me as a professional organizer. I'm not. I'm a professional who just happens to be organized! 

I'm a stylist and interior designer. My approach to both jobs is the same. A beautiful outcome begins with organization - be it a catalog or magazine shoot or a home remodel. Get that done first and the rest will naturally fall into place.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'd like to take this opportunity to dispel a few other myths:

Myth: Being organized means I'm a perfectionist. 
Reality: I throw my head back and laugh out loud at this one! Most of the time I can easily put my hands on what I need when I need it. But I'm not the only one who lives in this humble abode! In other words - I have been known to get a tinsey-tiny bit miffed when things are not put back where they belong!

Myth: Every nook, crannie, closet, cupboard and drawer is completely organized. 
Reality: I have tried, BUT there are areas best left untouched such as my hubby's office and his fly-tying desk, or my daughter's bedroom and bath (she's away at college - reprieve!) to name a few. Honestly, some battles are just not worth fighting. 

Myth: My home is spotless. 
Reality: It's clean but don't bring your white gloves. I do it myself but there are still just 24 hours in my day. Some gentle coaxing (okay - arm-twisting) to get the family to pitch in, is key to a peaceful 'if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!' kind of balance.

Myth: Every room is fabulously decorated. 
Reality: Each room is a sit-down-put-your-feet-up, put-a-glass-down, make a fort, or have a picnic kind of space. I want Everyone who visits here to be comfortable. If you call that fabulously decorated - then we're talking the same language.

Myth: I live in a simple, clutter-free home. 
Reality: I live in a small home but I have stuff! "A place for everything and everything in it's place" is my mantra as is "everything has to have more than one purpose". If it doesn't fit that bill - it doesn't live here.

Myth: I love to organize.
Reality: The road to grace and beauty begins with organization. I enjoy the challenge of tacking any organizing project and coming up with easy, do-able solutions.

Organizing is a means to a beautiful outcome. If you call on me to sort your piles, go thru your files or clean your tiles, I'll gracefully decline. If you call on me to show you how to live a beautiful, well-designed and organized life - I'm your gal.








No comments:

Post a Comment